Friday, August 28, 2015

Genius Time and my Passion Project

Well, it is the end of week two of digcit and i have to say that it has been a very productive week. A few days this week our teacher gave us "genius time" which is essentially a period or part of a period to brainstorm and generate ideas about what our passion project will be and all that it encompasses. Last week I already had a good idea about what I was going to do for my project. I was going to do a "Hoodies for the Homeless" drive and collect sweatshirts hoodies and jackets and give them to an organization to distribute them to the homeless people of my city. After talking to my teacher, she told me that I need to make it bigger and bring more awareness to it. I had some time to think during this weeks genius time and I decided to do a winter and spring drive. However that wasn't enough. I needed a way to make it more of a global or national issue. I need to raise awareness some how. My teacher suggested that I make some sort of video. At first I was stuck and couldn't think of how I could make a video to raise awareness before the actual drive. Then it hit me that I should go talk to and video tape an interview with actual homeless people. I think it would be a great way to connect with my project. 

This project is really important to me because it breaks my heart to see someone sleeping on a bench or begging or digging through trash just to get a meal. It also makes me sad to see people shivering in the cold outside during the winters. There are some places people can go during real cold weather but not everyone can and they can't stay there forever. Eventually they will have to go back into the brutal cold of winter. Everyone needs a good jacket to survive winter. I also talked about doing a drive in the spring. The issue you here really isn't as bad but it still lays on my heart. Although homeless people have clothes for spring and summer. There are hundreds of kids in my local school system that are homeless. Kids when they go to school, they don't want to be where the same clothes every day or every week. If kids also had the opportunity to get new clothes for spring as well it really brings satisfaction to my heart knowing they can have a few more cool outfits to wear.

For the number of jackets and clothes are will be collecting, I don't really have a set goal for how many I will collect but I do want at least 200. It would be great to get that many for each but if I don't it's ok, some kids will still receive them, and if I exceed it, that's even better.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome idea Jamie. When I was in LA on a missions trip, there were so many homeless people in the streets. The sad thing is, the locals didn't even cast an eye towards them. They had no desire to help the homeless. Even though the homeless population isn't what it is in LA, it is still a problem. I am glad that you have decided to step up and bring awareness to homelessness in Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I would love to see this help not only Charlotte and the surrounding areas, but expand it more somehow on a national level! There is so much talk about the homeless in our nation and yet it seems to be getting worse as each year passes us by. Maybe you can start by reaching out to other schools in our state and have them join you in your project. In other words, have a point person in those schools who can duplicate what you are doing at LNC! How awesome would that be for our state! And more importantly, for those who are homeless and who may benefit from your idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for your support for my project it means so much to me to have people back it up. I do think it would be a great idea to get other schools involved.f

      Delete
  3. The video is such a cool idea! Figure that most homeless people would be happy to help since most people don't even regard them as human.
    Also, Charlotte has an anti-panhandling law - I just found out about it, but maybe you can ask about how many people know about that? And how it might affect the homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Looking forward to the doccumentary.

    ReplyDelete